Saturday, November 19, 2016

BOOK REVIEW & INTERVIEW: Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein


BLURB:

Kyle Keeley is the class clown, popular with most kids, (if not the teachers), and an ardent fan of all games: board games, word games, and particularly video games. His hero, Luigi Lemoncello, the most notorious and creative game maker in the world, just so happens to be the genius behind the building of the new town library.

Lucky Kyle wins a coveted spot to be one of the first 12 kids in the library for an overnight of fun, food, and lots and lots of games. But when morning comes, the doors remain locked. Kyle and the other winners must solve every clue and every secret puzzle to find the hidden escape route. And the stakes are very high.

In this cross between Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and A Night in the Museum, Agatha Award winner Chris Grabenstein uses rib-tickling humor to create the perfect tale for his quirky characters. Old fans and new readers will become enthralled with the crafty twists and turns of this ultimate library experience.
 


REVIEW BY: Michaela , 12 years,  5 months

MAY CONTAIN SPOILER:

This book was great. Mr. Grabenstein has a way with words. This story drew me in and this is probably my favorite book by Grabenstein.

I don't think I have a favorite character because they are all awesome and complexly developed. If I had to choose I think my favorite would be Mr. Lemoncello because he is super fun and wacky.

My favorite part is when Mr. Lemoncello came to the school in his cool car because everyone was excited. I got excited with them. Overall, this book was amazing.

I give this book 5 stars and recommend it for ages 9 and up.


Michaela had the privilege of interview Chris Grabenstein at the Texas Book Fest. The interview is located below.

Question #1: What is your favorite book?

" My favorite book is Bud not Buddy by Christopher Curtis and Holes."

Question #2: What is your favorite book you've written?

" I would have to say Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library because more kids have read that book than any other. It's been nominated for 40 state book awards and won 20 of them. It has been on the New York Times bestseller list for 100 weeks and Nickelodeon is making it into a movie. Plus, most kids who don't like to read have read this book which is a big a accomplishment."

Question #3: Where do you write most often?

" Well, I am very lucky to have a two bedroom apartment in New York City. In one of the bedrooms I have an office. It has bulletin boards on the walls with pictures and notes I might need for my story. That is my special place but I can write just about anywhere since I travel a lot."

Question #4: What is your favorite character you've written?

"Mr. Lemoncello because he is pretty wacky he includes book tittle and/or scenes. plus, he is really funny."

Question #5: How long does it normally take you to write a book?

"I write the first draft which is never perfect. Then I write for about 2 or 3 more months. Then I work with the editor for about 3 months until I am satisfied. So about a total of 9 months."

Question #6: What do you like to do in your free time?

"I like to go running. I like to walk my dog. I also love movies. However, I am always thinking about writing. "

A big thank you to Chris Grabenstein, his publicist, and the Texas Book Fest.

Here are a few pictures of Chris and Michaela:


No comments:

Post a Comment